Duration – Half day
Asbestos was not banned until 1999! Therefore any building built or refurbished before that date could potentially contain asbestos. If you are an employer, self employed person or a worker who is carrying out maintenance or refurbishment work in any building which has materials within it, or on it that are likely to contain any type of asbestos and even though you don’t handle it, then you must by law undergo at least Asbestos training to comply with the HSE legal requirements! It is estimated that over two-million workplaces contain asbestos, which remains the single biggest cause of work related deaths in the UK.
The law puts a requirement on every employer that they must ensure that adequate information, instruction and training is given to those employees who are liable to be exposed to asbestos during the course of their work. This course provides basic awareness of asbestos for the new regulations which came into effect as of 6 April 2012.
By the end of this course participants will have a clearer understanding of:
• The requirements of the 2012 Control of Asbestos Regulations
• The properties of asbestos and its effects on health as well as the associated health risks
• The duty holder and their responsibilities
• The locations where asbestos is commonly found and practical controls for asbestos safety
• The emergency procedures
• How to recognise and deal with other dangers
• Decontamination of yourself and your work area
• Waste disposal
Who should attend?
This course is ideal for those employees and contractors who are involved in construction and refurbishment projects or those who have responsibility for managing asbestos in existing buildings.