IOSH Managing Safely course is a basic qualification in safety and health for managers and supervisors in all organisations. The aim of the course is to “ensure that safety requirements are appreciated by people employed as line managers and enable them to review their own departmental systems for safety, introducing new controls or implementing changes as appropriate to make their workplace safer”. The course is 3 days in duration (21 hours)
Successful delegates will receive a ‘Managing Safely’ certificate issued by the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH).
Who is the course for?
• This course is intended for those in supervisory and managerial positions in all types of organisations.
IOSH Managing Safely Objectives
After successfully completing the course the manager will be better able to:
• Apply basic management principles and practices to safety and health issues as part of a total management strategy.
• Set achievable safety and health objectives and plan and implement courses of action to achieve those objectives.
• Recognise safety and health hazards present in the workplace.
• Carry out and record basic assessments of the risks associated with workplace hazards, and recommend suitable control measures.
• Take account of risks arising from ergonomic factors.
• Ensure that adequate information, training and supervision are provided for employees.
• Investigate an accident or incident involving injury or damage to determine the causes and take appropriate actions.
IOSH Managing Safely Course Assessment
Achievement of the objectives of the Managing Safely IOSH course will be assessed by:
• An objective (short answer) test
• A practical assessment in the workplace
Each delegate is required to sit a short answer test during the course and submit a hand written practical assessment two weeks after the last day of the course. This paperwork is explained during the course by the tutor. It is the delegate’s responsibility to submit their assessment within the timescale, any assessments not returned by the deadline will result in the delegate failing the course.